Did you know that your period can be considered a fifth vital sign?! Do you deal with painful periods, amenorrhea or major mood swings during your cycle? Want to know what your period says about your overall health? Tune in to hear Ali and Becki discuss period drama (not the kind in your Netflix series!) and how to deal with cramping, bloating, GI distress, moodiness and beyond!
In this episode, Ali and Becki break down what happens in each phase of the menstrual cycle and discuss common period concerns including heavy cramps, painful cycles, bloating, mood issues and beyond. Learn how tracking your cycle and your symptoms can be key to understanding what is going on in your body and how basal body temperature can serve as both birth control and fertility support. Get our take on IUDs, hormone-free contraceptive gels like Phexxi and new updates on how oral contraceptives can impact your brain health. Plus we dish out supplement and food as medicine recommendations for a drama free cycle!
Also in this Episode:
- Episode 106: Birth Control Part 1
- Episode 107:Birth Control Part 2
- Episode 48: PCOS Part 1
- Episode 49: PCOS Part 2
- Episode 145: Endometriosis and Infertility
- Why Your Period is Your Fifth Vital Sign
- Menstrual Cycle 101
- What’s Normal, What’s Not?
- Heavy Cramping
- Concerns with Birth Control Use
- Food As Medicine Support
- United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division (2019). Contraceptive Use by Method 2019: Data Booklet (ST/ESA/SER.A/435)
- Toffoletto S, Lanzenberger R, Gingnell M, Sundström-Poromaa I, Comasco E. Emotional and cognitive functional imaging of estrogen and progesterone effects in the female human brain: a systematic review. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2014;50:28-52.
- Klaiber EL, Broverman DM, VogelW, Peterson LG, Snyder MB. Individual differences in changes in mood and platelet monoamine oxidase (MAO) activity during hormonal replacement therapy in menopausal women. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 1996;21(7):575-592.
- Wiréhn AB, Foldemo A, Josefsson A, Lindberg M. Use of hormonal contraceptives in relation to antidepressant therapy: a nationwide population-based study. Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2010;15(1):41-47.
- Hertel, J., Koing, J., Homuth, G. et al. Evidence for Stress-like Alterations in the HPA-Axis in Women Taking Oral Contraceptives. Sci Rep 7, 14111 (2017). https:// doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-13927-7
Sponsors for This Episode:
This episode is sponsored by the Naturally Nourished supplement line: these pure, potent and effective formulas have been hand selected to deliver profound health benefits. We price our formulas 2-5% below market industry standard and competitors and guarantee that our products will always be third party assessed to ensure they are free of mold, toxins, contaminants, and contain the stated active ingredients in dosages noted.
This episode is also sponsored by FOND Bone Broth Tonics, Your Sous Chef in a Jar. FOND is slow simmered and lovingly tended from simmer to seal. They partner with organic farms and hand-pick and pair ingredients to optimize absorption and taste. Use code ALIMILLERRD to save at fondbonebroth.com.