Is turmeric really worth all the hype? What about the concerns for oxalates and anti-nutrients? Should we supplement with turmeric and does formulation matter? Tune in to hear us break down the benefits of curcumin in human studies and discuss the potential drawbacks of this amazing natural compound.
In this episode, we take a deep dive into inflammation as a whole, from labs to monitor to why anti-inflammatory drugs can be problematic. We discuss the myriad of benefits of curcumin in heart health, inflammation, pain, depression, antioxidant status and more while also discussing the controversy of turmeric in the world of oxalates and antinutrients. Learn what to look for in a turmeric supplement, how to pulse up dosage in time of need, and whether eating turmeric can stack up to high potency supplementation.
Also in this episode:
- Use code SUPER15 for 15% off Super Turmeric
- What is Inflammation?
- Labs to Monitor Inflammation
- High Sensitivity C-reactive protein (HS-CRP) Ideally <0.8, Concerning if >1.5
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) Ideally <20, Concerning if >25
- Why are Anti-Inflammatory Drugs Problematic?
- What are Anti-Nutrients?
- Episode 127: In Defense of Vegetables
- Beat the Bloat Cleanse
- GI Lining Support
- Episode 42: Transitioning from Vegan
- Is There Such a Thing as “Anti-Nutrients”? A Narrative Review of Perceived Problematic Plant Compounds
- Effect of cinnamon and turmeric on urinary oxalate excretion, plasma lipids, and plasma glucose in healthy subjects
- Episode 195: Flatten the Fear and Cracking the Carnivore Code
- Does Turmeric Cause Kidney Stones and Gallstones?
- Benefits of Curcumin in the Human Body
- Curcumin: A Review of Its’ Effects on Human Health
- Efficacy of Turmeric Extracts and Curcumin for Alleviating the Symptoms of Joint Arthritis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials
- Curcumin inhibits formation of amyloid beta oligomers and fibrils, binds plaques, and reduces amyloid in vivo
- Modulation of Metabolic Detoxification Pathways Using Foods and Food-Derived Components: A Scientific Review with Clinical Application
- Episode 265: Uterine Health
- What Sets Super Turmeric Apart
- Food as Medicine
Sponsors for this episode:
This episode is also sponsored by FOND Bone Broth Tonics, Your Sous Chef in a Jar. FOND is slow simmered and lovingly tended from simmer to seal. They partner with organic farms and hand-pick and pair ingredients to optimize absorption and taste. Use code ALIMILLERRD to save at fondbonebroth.com.