Are you dealing with muscle weakness or fatigue? Struggling to lose weight? Looking to improve endurance and athletic performance? Tune in to learn all about carnitine, a truly unsung hero for weight loss, cardiovascular health, exercise performance, and even male infertility!
In this episode, we discuss the symptoms of carnitine deficiency and review a myriad of research on the health benefits of carnitine. From improving exercise endurance to enhancing mood to boosting brain function, this nutrient is so much more than a weight loss quick fix! We dig into its applications as a cardiovascular disease treatment adjunct, potential therapeutic for Type 2 Diabetes, and even some promising research on Alzheimers. Learn about food sources of carnitine, why vegans and vegetarians are at increased risk of deficiency, and why carnitine should be your go to for enhancing keto outcomes over exogenous ketones!
Also in this episode:
- $50 off 12 Week Keto Program with code KETOFAM50
- $10 off 12 Week Keto Meal Plan with code KETOFAM10
- LIVE 10 Day Detox Starts 7/15, sign up here
- What is Carnitine?
- Who is at Risk of Carnitine Deficiency
- Symptoms of Deficiency
- Research Supported Benefits of Carnitine
- Carnitine Increases Endurance
- Carnitine Enhances Weight Loss & Fat Burn
- The effect of (L-)carnitine on weight loss in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
- The effect of l-carnitine on fat oxidation, protein turnover, and body composition in slightly overweight subjects
- Skeletal muscle carnitine loading increases energy expenditure, modulates fuel metabolism gene networks and prevents body fat accumulation in humans – PMC
- Carnitine Prevents Muscle Damage
- Carnitine Boosts Brain Function
- Carnitine Regulates Blood Sugar & Has Application in Type 2 Diabetes
- Carnitine May Be Useful as an Adjunct in Cardiovascular Disease
- Controlled study on L-carnitine therapeutic efficacy in post-infarction
- L-carnitine as an adjunct therapy to percutaneous coronary intervention for non-ST elevation myocardial infarction
- Does left ventricular function improve with L-carnitine after acute myocardial infarction?
- Metabolic treatment with L-carnitine in acute anterior ST segment elevation myocardial infarction. A randomized controlled trial
- L-carnitine in the secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease: systematic review and meta-analysis
- Carnitine Improves Peripheral Neuropathy
- Preventing Complications and Treating Symptoms of Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy
- Acetyl-L-carnitine for the treatment of diabetic peripheral neuropathy
- Acetyl-L-carnitine improves pain, nerve regeneration, and vibratory perception in patients with chronic diabetic neuropathy: an analysis of two randomized placebo-controlled trials
- Carnitine Improves Depression Symptoms Comparable to Medication
- Carnitine Supports Sperm Quality, Concentration and Motility
- L-carnitine levels in the seminal plasma of fertile and infertile men: correlation with sperm quality
- Use of carnitine therapy in selected cases of male factor infertility: a double-blind crossover trial
- A placebo-controlled double-blind randomized trial of the use of combined l-carnitine and l-acetyl-carnitine treatment in men with asthenozoospermia
- Placebo-controlled double-blind randomized trial on the use of L-carnitine, L-acetylcarnitine, or combined L-carnitine and L-acetylcarnitine in men with idiopathic asthenozoospermia
- Best Food Sources of Carnitine
- Carnitine Supplementation
Sponsors for this episode:
This episode is sponsored by Nutrisense, providing Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGM) that provide you with real-time glucose data and an easy to use phone app that helps you combine and visualize your glucose data with all of your daily activities as well as personalized recommendations on how to improve your health. Use the code AliRD for $30 off your monthly subscription plan at nutrisense.io.