Are carbs necessary during pregnancy? Is there such a thing as too much salt during pregnancy? What should baby’s first foods be? Tune in to hear Ali and Becki interview Lily Nichols, an incredible wealth of knowledge on all things real food, pregnancy and baby! Learn how the prenatal guidelines should be revised, what nutrients pregnant women need the most of and which foods you actually need to avoid during pregnancy.
In this episode, Ali and Becki interview fellow real food dietitian Lily Nichols and pick her brain on all things Real Food for Pregnancy. Lily is best known for her work on Gestational Diabetes and challenging the current prenatal guidelines. Learn about low carb and pregnancy, whether carbs are a necessary nutrient for growing a healthy baby and why the focus should be on protein and nutrient density instead! Plus we cover liver as a superfood for pregnant mamas as well as a first food for babies, whether to salt baby food and common nutrient deficiencies for mamas and babies.
More about Lily Nichols, RDN, CDE:
Lily Nichols is a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, Certified Diabetes Educator, researcher, and author with a passion for evidence-based prenatal nutrition. Her work is known for being research-focused, thorough, and unapologetically critical of outdated dietary guidelines. She is the author of two bestselling books, Real Food for Pregnancy and Real Food for Gestational Diabetes. You can find her work at LilyNicholsRDN.com and on social media as @lilynicholsrdn.
Download a Chapter of Real Food For Pregnancy and get other free goodies from Lily here!
Also in This Episode:
- Episode 21: Ali’s First Trimester
- Episode 25: Ali’s Second Trimester
- Episode 27: Ali’s Third Trimester
- Episode 134: Keto and Pregnancy
- Episode 186: Becki’s First Trimester
- Episode 196: Becki’s Second Trimester
- Episode 213: Becki’s Third Trimester
- Lily’s Story
- How the Conventional Pregnancy Guidelines are Failing Women
- Are Carbs Necessary During Pregnancy?
- Essential Nutrients for Pregnancy
- Liver and Vitamin A Toxicity During Pregnancy
- Salt During Pregnancy
- Can I Salt Baby’s First Foods?
- Don’t Add Salt to Baby Food: The Surprisingly Weak Evidence for Infant Sodium Requirements
- Foods to Avoid During Pregnancy
- Advice for Baby’s First Foods
- Supplementation for Babies
- Vitamin D Balanced Blend Liquid
- Meeting Baby’s Iron Needs
Sponsors for This Episode:
This episode is sponsored by the Naturally Nourished supplement line: these pure, potent and effective formulas have been hand selected to deliver profound health benefits. We price our formulas 2-5% below market industry standard and competitors and guarantee that our products will always be third party assessed to ensure they are free of mold, toxins, contaminants, and contain the stated active ingredients in dosages noted.
This episode is also sponsored by Wild Foods, a company that puts quality, sustainability, and health first in all of their products. They have everything from coffee to turmeric to medicinal mushrooms, and every single product is painstakingly sourced from small farms around the globe. They take their mission seriously to fix the broken food system, and believe real food is medicine. They’ve partnered with us to give you guys an exclusive discount, so use the code ALIMILLERRD for 12% off your order at WildFoods.co!