FOOD-AS-MEDICINE: ADHD AND CHOCONANA SMOOTHIE!
ADHD AND CHOCONANA SMOOTHIE RECIPE
BALANCED NUTRITION FOR YOUR CHILDREN: FOOD AS MEDICINE ADHD
Attention Deficit Hyper Disorder (ADHD) is a chronic condition that affects millions of children and often persists into adulthood. ADHD includes a combination of problems, such as difficulty sustaining attention, hyperactivity and impulsive behavior that is often paired with low self-esteem, struggles with interpersonal relationships, and difficulty in school. ADHD and other psychological disorders may be caused by dietary/digestive reasons and may be treated with food as medicine.
Our approaches include assessing common nutritional deficiencies, identifying food allergies or heavy metal toxicity, balancing blood sugar levels and providing nutrients for optimal cognitive function. We take a whole body approach addressing mind with restructuring thought patterns and self-esteem building techniques, behavior with development of routine and consistency, and diet to ensure we can provide you with balanced support for optimal results.
SIX POSSIBLE NUTRITIONAL RELATED CAUSES OF ADHD:
- Food allergies and sensitivities
- Heavy metal toxicity, common in 1:7 ADHD
- pH levels lower than 7.4: noting calcium deficiency, which plays a role in calming nerves
- Candida/yeast: dysbiosis releases of 70 toxins interfering with brain and neurotransmitters
- Blood sugar spikes and crashes can lead to irritability, irregular energy levels, brain fog, difficulty concentrating, and hyperactivity
- Nutrient deficiencies of: B6, Mg, Ca, Zinc, folic acid, and DHA (omega-3)
FOOD-AS-MEDICINE FOR ADHD!
Balanced eating and a clean diet is half the battle! Blood sugar spikes and crashes can lead to irritability, irregular energy levels, brain fog, difficulty concentrating, and hyperactivity. We will work with you to develop a lifestyle plan that incorporates nutrient-dense foods that are palate pleasing and eating approaches to promote blood sugar balance and optimal cognitive function. Follow these guidelines for a for a jumpstart into balanced eating.
- Frequent eating! Every 3-4h for regulated glucose (brain’s fuel)
- Balanced blood sugars with carbohydrate limitation of 60g/meal
- Glycemic index control with combining carbohydrate choices with a protein or healthy fat
- Have at least 15g protein in breakfast foods (eggs, greek yogurt, smoothies, etc)
- Eliminate high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS), MSG, and artificial colorants from dietary options
- Re-establish healthy gut flora (probiotic foods/supplement)
- DHA supplementation to enhance cognitive function
TEST FOR FOOD SENSITIVITIES!
Specific lab tests are key to determining inflammatory food antigens (proteins that can leak through the gut barrier causing inflammation and can interfere with the frontal lobe of brain which regulates behavior). Specifically, the MRT Test is essential to identify these unique antigens in order to implement a personalized gut restoration protocol.
You may also want to assess blood work for nutritional deficiencies to identify the need for additional supplementation with our Micronutrient Panel.
Become a Virtual Client to discuss lab tests, proper supplementation, and to work with Ali to develop a food-as-medicine plan to help your child and your family improve their health, functionality, and overall quality of life!
Try this kid-friendly recipe for a successful start!
This smoothie is low-glycemic and packed with protein and healthy fats to blunt the spike in blood sugar that comes from most fruit-heavy smoothies. The cinnamon will help support balanced blood sugar and the cacao powder is rich in powerful antioxidants. This is a great balanced breakfast for your kiddos!
1/2 cup almond butter (Ali recommends roasted organic, grind-your own)
1 banana, frozen
1 cup baby spinach
4-6 ice cubes
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2-3 Tbsp raw cacao powder
12-16 fl oz almond milk, unsweetened
2 Scoops Naturally Nourished Grassfed Whey Protein Powder
Blend first 7 ingredients in blender, then add whey and blend for 5-10 seconds more. Serve cold as snack or meal.
Makes 2 servings